Tips and Advice on Fishing
So, you want to catch the big fish? Do you know fishing is more than just throwing the bait in the water?
It’s relaxing, fun-filled and can be a perfect thing to enjoy with family. Just chose your fishing location and start filling your fishing basket. While catching fish seems like a piece of cake, casting the line and filling the fish basket need profound knowledge and experience. You should know the water area, the type of fish you are going to catch and the right equipment.
Since each fish is unique and comes from different parts of rivers, lakes, and bays, catching them require special tricks and skills. What works one kind of fish perhaps won’t work on another type!
Without further ado, have a look at some tips and tricks to catch the fish with precision and technique.
Choose The Right Equipment
There are many fishing rods and reels available, however choosing the best spinning reel and the most suitable one is important. Choosing the right fishing rod depends on the kind of fish you want to catch. Look for the rods that offer hard grip or handle to provide firm hold when retrieving or casting a fish. Every rod has its balance and strength. While heavy rods are powerful, longer ones reach farther.
Once you are done choosing the equipment, look for the reel that matches the rod. Also, the reel and the rod should match the weight of the bait and lure. Don’t move your fishing rod much, if you have picked the plastic baits like craws, worms, and Senkos. Artificial or electronic baits may attract some fish, the shiny reflective lures can hamper the fish eyes.
Also, make sure to carry the tackle boxes for keeping things like hooks, lures, extra line and knife.
Find a good fishing Location
Location plays a very curtail role in choosing the fish. If you are fishing at:
Freshwater fishing means you will get the least salinity. You can go at ponds, lakes streams or even rivers to find the fresh water. For this kind of fishing:
- Use a slip bobber: a slip bobber is nothing but a bobber that features a hollow hole passing through it. With this, you will be able to tie the knot to help you set the depth.
- Bait: The best baits you can use in freshwater are minnows, wax worms, crayfish, and worms. You can also use frogs, leeches, and other ball type food to attract fish. Artificial baits also work best but don’t jerk much while using them.
- Wash hands: When fishing in fresh water, wash your hands properly to remove any foul smell from the bait. Failing which, the fish will ward off, and you will end up with no fish in hands.
So you want to do ice-fishing? Have a look at the tips to help you:
- The depth of the hole: fish usually stay at a specific depth in winters making it easy to catch them. Grab the knowledge about the place and catch your favorite fish.
- Move slowly: fish don’t like to expend much energy during winters, so don’t move the rod and bait too fast. You may end up losing the fish.
- Keep the hole covered: if you are fishing at the shallow area, use ice-shaving to prevent light reflecting the surface. However, the light attracts small plankton and crappies, which mean you, can catch them with ease.
Lake fishing is quite tempting and is filled with tranquility. If you have plans to spend your relaxing day catching fish at the lake, have a look at some of the tips you should know:
- Look for inlets and outlets: Fish also like living at specific temperatures. So, look for the places that are cooler as compared to another area of. The place where water enters and drain out of the lake are usually more relaxed, cooler and loved by the fish. Baitfish there and catch the one.
- Search sunken structures: When fishing at the lake, look for the places like branches, downed trees and other habitats for fish to catch them.
Know the fish
Whether you want a large mouth fish or you are looking for a stripped one, or you have plans to catch the small mouth fish, catching them require specific knowledge and skill set. Every species is different, while some get quickly caught in the bait, some need special techniques. Fishes like crap, bluegills, Muskie, Lake Trout and many other have diverse needs of bait, fishing rod, and many other things.
Use hook with long shank for small fish
Fish like perch, scup, and sunfish have short-biting and thus use small mouth to grab the bait. They easily tear the bait from the dangled hook and move. However, to trap them in the bait, use long hooks that have a long shank and a small gap.
Also, make sure to tie the lure with the thread on the hook so that the fish will not steal it. You can use this method for catching night crawlers, squid strips and sea worms.
Know The Law
It’s important to know the rule of the country where you are heading for fishing as some countries restrict on some specific size and quality of the fish. Some states even demand of having a fishing license to catch the fish. To make sure you meet all necessary laws and conditions, do contact a fishery department before heading to the place.
Stay Awake And Prepared
Safety is the paramount thing to be considered when fishing. Some of the common yet important things to know are:
- Do a weather-check. Be aware of the tidal situation and swell conditions.
- Dress-properly; wear light clothes and boots. Try layers when you are not aware of the weather. If you have long hairs, tie them back.
- If you are doing ice-fishing or rock-fishing, never go alone.
- Ask fishing experts if you are fishing to a new place.
- Bring outdoor safety supplies like sunscreen, dry matches, filler knife and bug spray.
So now you know all the fishing traits, fill your fish quota of the day and bring your inner chef out to prepare the hot shore dinner!